I’ve been attending the Edmonton Folk Music Festival for years now, rain and shine.
The quality of music I’ve heard over the years is consistently high, no matter if there is a big name headliner or not, the quality is always exceptional. It would be way too much work to ran the artists and make a playlist based on my preferences – since they shift daily anyway. So below is a random sampling of a dozen songs by a dozen artists I look forward too seeing at the Folk Festival this year. Could I have included more? Sure. But then what would you have to look forward to?
- 100 mile house – Hiraeth
- Altameda – Queen Of The Street
- Amadou & Mariam feat. Manu Chao – Sénégal Fast Food
- Birds of Chicago – Barley
- Cécile Doo-Kingué – Anybody Listening
- The Decemberists – Don’t Carry It All
- Valerie June – Shakedown
- Tim Williams – Nobody’s Fault & Poor Boy
- Shakey Graves (he was one of my hubby’s favourites when we saw him a couple years back) – Roll the Bones
- The Jerry Cans – Ukiuq
- La Santa Cecilia – Calaverita
- Darlingside – The God of Loss
I can’t wait to be on the hill again this August.